Telia Company presents 2020 sustainability highlights
2020 reflected - even stronger than before - the need to build resilient societies. During the year, we accelerated our work related to digital inclusion to bridge the digital divide that was magnified by the pandemic. We advanced our environmental work by setting Science Based Targets for rapid emissions reductions, used 100% renewable electricity and became climate-neutral within our own operations. These are some of the achievements presented in the company’s Annual and Sustainability Report, launched today.
“Telia Company is committed to constantly reinventing better connected lives and societies. During the pandemic we kept societies open and enabled our customers to operate, socialize, learn and play also in times of restrictions and great challenges. 2020 was by no means “normal”, but it made us even more committed to shaping a new normal based on equality, human rights and respect for the planetary boundaries”, says Rachel Samrén, Chief External Affairs, Governance and Trust Officer at Telia Company.
Highlights and achievements during the year include:
- Support to national health authorities and the healthcare sector during the pandemic, including expansion of remote health monitoring/consultations
- 120,000 individuals reached through digital inclusion initiatives focusing on children, seniors and other groups exposed to vulnerable situations
- Engagement with 7,000 children, in close collaboration with child rights organizations, to understand their realities during digital home schooling
- Adoption of ambitious Science Based Targets covering Telia Company’s total value chain greenhouse gas emissions
- Achieved climate neutrality in our own operations through substantial emissions reductions and carbon offsetting for energy and business travels
- Integrated CO2 performance into supplier selection criteria. At year end, suppliers representing 16 percent of our total supply chain emissions had set science-based targets
- Issued two successful green bonds. The proceeds have been used to increase energy efficiency by replacing legacy copper with fiber, and further investments into green digital solutions that help our customers reduce their GHG emissions
- Strengthened processes for privacy and security, including work related to privacy by design and expansion of ISO 27001 certification
- Rollout of additional measures to ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace, including trainings, to prevent unconscious bias in recruitment, reward processes and performance evaluations. At year end, 38 percent of the Extended Leadership Team were women
- During the year we were awarded LGBTQI employer of the year by the Swedish trade union Unionen. We retained our ‘AAA’ rating with the MSCI ESG index and the EcoVadis ‘Gold Supplier’ rating. Carbon Disclosure Project climate performance improved to B, a marked improvement compared to D in 2018.
- During the year we also performed a stakeholder assessment, which has informed Telia Company’s new business strategy (2021-2023), in which sustainability is thoroughly integrated. Sustainability goals reflecting the new totality will be published later this spring.
The sustainability content of the Annual and Sustainability Report has undergone limited assurance by Deloitte.
Released alongside the Annual and Sustainability Report is the Law Enforcement Disclosure Report (LEDR) which lays out how Telia Company respects freedom of expression and privacy when governments request data and access to our networks for different purposes, including fighting crime.